Thursday, July 21, 2005

Happy - Happy Deepavali

"Happy-Happy Deepavali maa" - This is the phrase that an old man tells his grandchildren, son and daughter-in-law who live elsewhere(foreign land) in some telephone advertisement that used to come long time back on television. This ad caught my attention because that old man used to say these with so much of emotion and love which I could not understand at that point and had brushed it aside as overaction.
Little did I know when I saw this ad that I would be exactly doing the same thing for many more years to come. There is a bright side to staying away from home in the sense that you become very independent and responsible (supposedly) and worldly wise. But on the flip side it is quite sad that you miss out on all the love and affection from parents,siblings, grandparents and other relatives. This I feel all the more when any special occassion comes by. During every Diwali at college we did have fun, but it was never quite the same as it was at home. I used to call home and other relatives every Diwali, and each time I used to have this kind of weird feeling of "OutOfContext Exception". I used to ask myself whether was it really worth staying away from home missing so much. I still do ask myself this question, now occassionally though as I have learnt to live with the reality. The reality is that I am in a Hot Pursuit (a euphemism for Rat Race) now, in pursuit of career growth and achievement, money and social recognition and this pursuit has brought me so far away from home But I do live with the hope that soon in the near future the race will end soon or I will voluntarily opt out of the race. Whichever happens the good thing is that "The good old days look much more nearer now"!!!

No comments: