Sunday, November 09, 2008

Forgotten Face - Aasai Mugam Marandhu

Excerpts from one of the many gems of Bharathiyar. I heard this song recently in a concert and was totally moved by it. Apparently Bharathi had written this song when he lost his mother's photograph (the only photograph and memory he had of her).

ஆசைமுகம் மறந்து போச்சே - இதை யாரிடம் சொல்வேனடி தோழி?
I have forgotten that lovely face, whom shall I share this grief with ?
நேசம் மறக்கவில்லை நெஞ்சம் - எனில் நினைவு முகம் மறக்கலாமோ?
The heart has still not forgotten the love, alas how can I forget that memorable face?


தேனை மறந்திருக்கும் வண்டும் - ஒளிச் சிறப்பை மறந்துவிட்ட பூவும்
வானை மறந்திருக்கும் பயிறும் - இந்த வையம் முழுதுமில்லை தோழி
One cannot find in this whole world :
Bees that have forgotten honey
Flowers that forgotten the splendor of light
Crops that have forgotten the sky



கண்ணன் முகம் மறந்துபோனால் - இந்த கண்களிருந்து பயனுண்டோ?
If I forget the face of krishna, then what is the use of my eyes? (Krishna is a placeholder for his mother here).
வண்ணப் படமுமில்லை கண்டாய் - இனி வாழும் வழியென்னடி தோழி?
I no longer have your photograph, now what is left in life,tell me my dear friend ?

No comments: