Friday, March 18, 2005

Two Gems Added to my collection!!!

The following two poems are among the best poems ever I have read so far. Both these poems somehow relate to the situation and plight I am currently in now!!

LEISURE by W. H. Davies

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.


Poem By Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

An excerpt from my fav poem would help you...

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;

(If by Kipling)

subu said...

Awesome piece! Thanks for the comment. The essence of this poem somewhat signifies the "Sthitha-prajna-Lakshanam"
descibed in the "Bhagawad Gita" chapter 2 which clearly elaborates on the equanimity toward extremities in life.